High Tension as US Shocks National Assembly, Set to Tender Career-Ending Evidence Against Reps


12 Jul 2016

High Tension as US Shocks National Assembly, Set to Tender Career-Ending Evidence Against Reps

Views

Sequel to the letter transmitted to the Speaker of the House of Representative, Yakubu Dogara, by the outgoing United States of America, USA, Ambassador to Nigeria, James Entwistle, accusing three members under his watch, of soliciting and trying to rape a hotel housekeeper, the US official has threatened to release video evidence on Thursday, July 14, 2016.

Post-Nigeria, earlier reported that ‎the US government had issued a stern warning to the leadership of the House, as it alleged that Hon. Mohammed Gololo, solicited for sex from a hotel maid, while Hon. Samuel Ikon and Hon Mark Gbillah, were caught seeking the assistance of a car park attendant, to secure the services of prostitutes during an International visit to Cleveland in the US for a Leadership Programme.

In reaction, Dogara was reported to have mandated the House Committees on Ethics and Privileges and Foreign Affairs, to ensure a detailed investigation into the issue to allow the House make an informed decision.

READ ALSO: US down Paraguay to qualify for Copa quarters

As the Committee begins its official public hearing on the issue, ‎Mr. Entwistle, has promised to tender his video evidence against the three Lawmakers on Thursday, with the Committee being unable to sit since its inauguration, due to the fact that some of its members had traveled to perform their religious obligations.

It was also gathered, that the Committee decided not to extend the invitation to the hotel management, as the Ambassador who broke the information through a letter to the Speaker, was expected to have all the documentary evidence against the three accused members.

Aside the U.S Ambassador expected in the public hearing, the Committee also extended invitation to the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyema, Committee for the Defence of Human Rights, the three accused Lawmakers, the National Human Rights Commission, as well as the other seven members that attended the leadership programme.

According to Vanguard, the Chairman of the Committee, Hon Ossai Nicholas, said the Committee decided not to invite the management of the hotel where the alleged sex misconduct took place, because it believed that the Ambassador would come with all the requisite video evidence, where the accused allegedly committed the action.

READ ALSO: 3 US B-52 heavy bombers fly to Europe for joint NATO Baltic military drills

Although, the members of the House of Representative had expressed disappointment over the issue.

It could be recalled, that Dogara, ‎had described the investigation as a very serious one, where many people had already made their conclusion that the three accused Lawmakers were wrong.

The speaker, however, noted that, “The standard in the US, is that an accused is assumed innocent until proven guilty, and that is the same standard in Nigeria.

“Anyone who has evidence can now see the Committee,” Dogara said.

READ ALSO: Brother of slain Taliban chief's driver presses charges against US

.

News Source: Post-Nigeria, 9jaTales

  • 0Blogger Comment
  • Facebook Comment
  • Disqus Comment

Post a Comment

Be the first to comment among your friends

comments powered by Disqus