Nice: '77 dead' as lorry hits crowds in French city


14 Jul 2016

Nice: '77 dead' as lorry hits crowds in French city

Views

WHAT WE KNOW Attacker drives lorry through crowd at high speed on seafront  At least 77 killed At least 100 injured

At least 77 people were killed and another 100 injured in the southern French city of Nice after an attacker drove a lorry into a crowd celebrating the Bastille Day national holiday.

The attacker behind the wheel on Thursday drove at high speed along the famed Promenade des Anglais seafront hitting the mass of spectators who had been watching a fireworks display. Police then shot and killed the driver, officials said.

Christian Estrosi, the French resort's mayor, said on Twitter that the latest death toll from "this terrible attack" was "77 victims".

The attack struck just as the fireworks - which were attended by thousands of people - were ending, at around 11:00pm local time (21:00GMT).

Eric Ciottio, the ranking politician of the Alpes-Maritime department that includes Nice, said the truck rammed into the crowd over a distance of two kilometres.

READ ALSO: French labour reform protest turns violent

Ciotti said on BFM TV that police killed the driver "apparently after an exchange of gunfire". He said the truck was loaded with arms and grenades.

Local officials described the incident as a clear criminal attack, although the driver was not yet identified. 

Residents of the Mediterranean city, which is close to the Italian border, were advised to stay indoors.

'I saw bodies flying'

Writing online, Nice Matin journalist Damien Allemand, who was at the waterside, said the fireworks display had finished and the crowd had got up to leave when they heard a noise and cries.

"A fraction of a second later, an enormous white truck came along at a crazy speed, turning the wheel to mow down the maximum number of people," he said.

READ ALSO: French Senate to consider resolution on easing anti-Russia sanctions

"I saw bodies flying like bowling pins along its route. Heard noises, cries that I will never forget."

Allemand, along with others, took shelter in a nearby restaurant. He continued to hear people shouting for missing family members. He ventured out and saw bodies, blood and body parts all along the road.

"This evening, it was horror," Allemand concluded.

Photo 1
Photo 1
An injured individual is seen on the ground after the deadly attack in Nice, France, when a truck ran into a crowd [Eric Gaillard/Reuters]

The Paris prosecutor's office opened an investigation for "murder, attempted murder in an organised group linked to a terrorist enterprise". The investigation is being handled by France's intelligence agency and judicial police.

An eyewitness told the Associated Press that he saw the driver emerge from the lorry shooting, after ramming into the crowd.

READ ALSO: Three French soldiers killed by landmine in northern Mali

"There was carnage on the road," Wassim Bouhlel, a Nice native, told the news agency. "Bodies everywhere."

Obama: 'A horrific terrorist attack'

Al Jazeera reporter David Coady was also at the scene.

"I was enjoying the Bastille Day fireworks just like thousands of other people at the promenade in Nice," he said.

"I was just walking back after the fireworks had finished. I looked towards the truck and I thought it was a bit odd, because the roads were shut down and there were hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people walking along.

"But then, from the direction of the truck, I started hearing screaming and then people started running. And so I joined all those people in running away from there."

READ ALSO: French ‘feminist’ minister Rossignol compares veil-wearing Muslims to ‘negroes’

US President Barack Obama released a statement condemning "what appears to be a horrific terrorist attack".

European Council president Donald Tusk said it is a "tragic paradox" that the victims of the attack in Nice were celebrating "liberty, equality and fraternity" - France's motto - on the country's national day.

Tusk tweeted a photograph of himself and other European and Asian leaders standing in tribute to the Nice victims at the Asia-Europe meeting in Mongolia.

Almost exactly eight months ago, attackers linked to the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) killed 130 people in Paris. November 13 saw some of the bloodiest in a number of attacks in France and Belgium over the past two years.

On Sunday, France had breathed a sigh of relief as the month-long Euro 2016 soccer tournament ended without a feared attack.

READ ALSO: French anarchists go on rampage over state of emergency extension (VIDEOS)

French President Francois Hollande, who was in the south of France at the time of the attack but raced back to Paris to the national crisis centre, had hours earlier said that a state of emergency put in place after November's Paris attacks would not be extended when it expires on July 26.

"We can't extend the state of emergency indefinitely, it would make no sense," Hollande had told journalists. "That would mean we're no longer a republic with the rule of law applied in all circumstances."

Photo 2
Photo 2

The lorry on Thursday night rammed into the crowd on the Promenade des Anglais seaside walk in the centre of town [Al Jazeera Screenshot]

Photo 3
Photo 3
  .

News Source: Aljazeera, 9jaTales

  • 0Blogger Comment
  • Facebook Comment
  • Disqus Comment

Post a Comment

Be the first to comment among your friends

comments powered by Disqus